Being led towards God & reading the Bible
Q: I'm an young professing atheist. I didn't grow up in a religious family and didnt attend church regularly. Recently, a family member gave me some money, and I decided to buy a Bible. I thought it would be a good starting point. I got a small, cute Bible that fits in my pocket, making it easy to carry around. My sister, (who isn't very religious either), gave me her old Bible (having got a new one).
Most of my family is also atheist. I’m not trying to push religion on anyone; I’ve had negative experiences with religious friends who judged me for my beliefs, which is part of why I identify as an atheist.
My mom and I are currently staying with family having hit hard times, & she is struggling with depression over it. I try to encourage her, (who is also an atheist). I told her we would find a place again and that her cats are safe at the shelter. I even said, "God will help us," even though I don’t believe in God. It just came out naturally.
While sitting outside with my new Bible, I wondered where to start reading. I began with the Gospel of John. I found myself engrossed in it, reading until late in the evening.
While reading my Bible, I felt drawn to it and couldn’t put it down. I also picked up a Christian coloring book at the store, which has Bible verses. I enjoy coloring as it helps me relax, (especially since I have ADHD and social anxiety). The Bible I bought is also a journal Bible, allowing me to take notes as I read.
Did I pick a good Bible version, and is John a good place to start reading? This is all new to me.
A: It is good you reached out, glad to hear how things are going for you, and how God is moving in your life. I encourage and celebrate this with you.
It is good some your family did have some kind of Christian background, and that you are looking into it again. Unfortunately in being in a fallen world, people arent perfect, and will behave as fallen people do. But theres also well intended Christians who want to share truth, but dont go about it well, or (as an unbeliever) we are not open to hearing or receiving at the time. I am sure for the ones who had good intentions, hoped seeds were planted by those encounters even if they didn't go well at the time. God tells us in Scripture that His Word wont return void, and so those moments (which you still recall), were used as a good towards you, towards faith. Until God draws us, (which seems he is doing with you), softens & opens our heart to truth, we will reject things shared, and continue with our own beliefs (in idolatry and sin), but God will reveal truths to us as we are open and not hardening our hearts to them. God does everything in his perfect timing, so this seems like the time he is leading and calling you to himself. So when you engage and interact with believers now, you'll know theyre flawed too, but have a new life & desires because God transformed them, theyre following Him and growing to be more who He wants them to be. They'll mess up sometimes as we all do, but by God's grace, with patience & forgiving spirit, with love and grace, we can love one another, restore what's broken and renew relationships. We follow Christ, not flawed people, so keep that in mind if you encounter problems with believers as you begin this journey. Everyone is at a diff growth and maturity level in the church. Conflicts and problems happen, but how we desire to love one another despite our flaws, and work things out, is the key. *Once in Heaven well be perfected and wont have to deal with these problems anymore. Its just for a short time we endure them.
It is good that you grasp that life has problems, but that God indeed walks with us through it all. And He is trustworthy for us to put our faith in Him to work all things out.
That is a nice design on the journal Bible 😊. It will give you a chance even to write out questions you have, which you can get clarification on. (Resources below will be a good help for that).
John is a good place to start!
✨️After that read the 4 Gospels, then start in Genesis and read through to the end.
If you are interested in the Essential truths the Bible teaches, you'll find it here, along with the Gospel. Those are the keys to Christianity. And if you recieve Christ, God (thru the Bible) will then show you how to live holy. 😊
God bless
Related
Comments
Post a Comment