Feminist seeks altered Bible

Q: I started my journey with God. But am a feminist seeking modern translations of the Bible that is not so literal, ones do not degrade women to the role of serving men, that speak well of women and their autonomy? Even though I am straight, I do not intend to be in a relationship with a man, & I am independent, so I do not want to read about having to obey anyone. Maybe apart from the Bible, do you know any books that would be on the subject?

Verses I have problems with.

Timothy 2:11-14
“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.”

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
“Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.”


A: The Timothy verse quoted gives you the actual reason God has declared and designed it this way. 

Nowhere in the Bible does it degrade women or tell women in general to serve men. Submission is between a husband and wife has a reason, and submission is NOT servitude. We are called to obey God and authority over us (boss, government, etc). There's a order and role for everyone to follow. 

In Genesis 2, God created Eve and called her Adam's help mate. Women are equal in value to men, we just have different roles by design. We cant live in rebellion to God and His Word, and think we are right with Him. 

I'm not sure where you are on your "journey" but it begins with obeying the Gospel. Once God causes you to be born again, he transforms you into a new person, with new and right desires, and from then on you love obeying God because its righteous to do so, and seek to live in truth. 

Theres only one Bible, but many bad modern versions the unconverted gravitate to in idolatry. Instead of seeking a Bible version that's twisted to fit your views, believers are called to be transformed and submit to biblical truth. Thus a literal translation will be factual, and a study Bible will be important as it gives clarity so you dont misunderstand, take verses out of context, or hold a wrong understanding. It is to "renew our minds" & lead us into all truth, and help us live in holiness. 

I recommend these resources to help you understand these things early on, as you properly grow in the faith are obedient in all areas to God. 😊✝️


 


God bless 

Comments