Church & Catholic backgrounds being challenged about lgbt, objective truth, & salvation

Q: My husband and I recently are turning back to faith. After growing up without it since i was about 10 (so truly I remember nothing) and my husband ( who grew up catholic, went to a catholic high school and was basically over religion by the time he went to college), are looking to live in faith.
 
We have kids & found this amazing Christian classical school which we have our heart set on sending our children to. We went through the lengthy and highly involved application process, and they have a statement of faith, which included their thoughts on homosexuality among many other things the bible says.

My husband‘s sister is gay, and we have friends who are also gay. We love them and respect them -the end. At the school, they want us to verbally agree that we believe that "the only way is for a man and woman to be in marriage". Now I believe for me and my husband this is true, but that is my truth. I don’t know anybody else’s truth or story and I’m not here to tell them what is.

I am struggling with this, especially my whole life not knowing Jesus, and then all of a sudden, being pulled to follow him. Something doesn’t sit well with me here, but if I am to follow Jesus and the Bible true, & God is all knowing, then what next steps am I to take to figure this out in my head and in my heart? Any direction would be wonderful.


A: If we become saved, we agree with God, embrace the Bible (God's Word to mankind) as The Authority, and we live in truth, but speak it too. 

Truth isn't subjective. As Christians and in general there's no your truth my truth, it's God's truth revealed. 

We grow in the knowledge of Scripture, and the Spirit also testifies to its Truth, so we submit to it and live it out. 

We do need to understand the essentials of Christianity (review here), and in your sutuation needing to understand this current identity crisis issue, to navigate relationships, so that you can speak to it in truth and love with those decieved by it, as appropriate and in righteousness timings, led by the Spirit, ...so perchance God will save them out of it. Same as like with any lifestyle of sin, or sin people are in, before they come to Christ; They may not accept Truth until saved, but seeds are planted. 😊

God will guide and grow you day by day. It takes time to understand what He wants us to know by Scripture, which is why the Holy Spirit teaches us as we read and study it. Just trust God, be fully surrendered to Him, and he will guide you. 

Hope this helps.


Related
Examination of Catholicism 
Resources for Christians


Comments